Thursday, December 4, 2014

Christmas tea




Since I can remember, entering December meant visiting the lovely tea shop in my hometown. I guess it has something to do with the cold and the snow, and the comfort of a good cup of tea on long, dark evenings.  
My favorite tea shop is locate right next to the market square, where the Christmas fair is held. This is one of the reasons why buying tea in December became my private tradition, without which Christmas simply could not happen. Since I always make a point of not shopping at the fair until 6th December, passing through the square to get to the tea shop, was always a great excuse to glimpse the lights and decorations.
Christmas fair aside, visiting the shop is a treat on its own. As soon as you enter the tiny space, you are surrounded by the unmistakable aroma of thousand exotic flavors. Different teas are stored in large metal tins stacked from floor to ceiling and beautiful china fills glass counters. It is one of those places that transport you to a different era…
And then there is the Advent tea – the whole point of the visit. I christened it Christmas tea, and, even more often, I call it Christmas tree by mistake, but the actual name is more than appropriate.
It smells of spices, wrapping paper, baubles and snow. It’s the elixir that makes you believe in Santa; the essence of December, the preparations and longing for Christmas.
Needless to say, I was over the moon, when I found this little brown bag of magic in care package from home. It saved the Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment