Tuesday, July 1, 2014

There and back again – Mumbai




It was 100% spur of the moment trip, concentrated around PIO card application. Tired of all the unreliable sources of contradictory information, we clawed at our last hope: FRRO Mumbai. Since it’s been causing us to bang our heads against the wall on more than one occasion, I think dealing with PIO card merits a separate post. Now, dealing with Mumbai is the whole other story…

It is one of these cities where one can clearly see why people like to compare India to masala – mixture of everything imaginable. There really are skyscrapers rising form the slums, people hanging from the local trains, unbelievable traffic and
.

Apart from dealing with all the pending paper work, we managed to scrape some time for more enjoyable activities. There were meeting with friends I haven’t seen for ages, spot of shopping, taste of nightlife…
Goa, as wonderful as it is, has no shops whatsoever. Sure, there are flea markets which I love, but they close as everything else – with the end of the season. Plus it’s rather difficult to construct universal wardrobe around the boho finds alone. After Delhi shopping fiasco, I was happy to hit the malls, even more so, seeing as the Monsoon sales just started.
After all the shopping and socializing, we spent last night in some posh club on thirty something floor aka “the only place to be on Saturday night”, and I was… baffled. People dressed up head to toe were pouring into this tiny room like their life depended on it. Yes, the place looked great and music was reasonably good but it was also hot, extremely loud and so crowded that I could barely take a sip of my highly overpriced drink. 


Pushed and shaved by the “in crowd” and over-sized security, I couldn’t help but wonder: since when having fun requires such sacrifices? Whatever the answer, I’m much happier with more low-key entertainment.
For now, I’m repacking my bags and enjoying few surprisingly sunny days at home…


No comments:

Post a Comment