Monday, October 31, 2016

the scariest thing this Halloween...

Krakow - City of Literature

For past two weeks, I've been grounded by an incredibly annoying cold bouncing between me and little Z.
The weather was delectably autumny so sitting wrapped up in a blanky with a hot cuppa, and a box of tissues handy felt very natural. I actually enjoy the horrible fall weather a lot, knowing that in short three weeks ill be back in Goa...
But I willed myself to get better by today because today was the last chance for the trip to the international book fair.



Growing up, books were my constant companion. I remember that on birthdays and Christmases (and other occasions), they were the most welcome gifts. The unread ones held the promise of days full of great adventures and excitement, while the known ones I welcomed like old friends. Till today, I feel there is something inherently magical about books and all the places that house them. But, living with one foot in Asia and the other in Europe, I had to adopt a more practical attitude and befriend Kindle (which proved to be a very loyal companion).
Nonetheless, the trip to the fair confirmed one thing: I'm not at all immune to beautiful children's books. Honestly, I had no idea how many publishing houses print exclusively for kids. I don't know if my perspective has changed, but this year especially, most of the stalls seemed to be dedicated to the youngest readers.



Among millions of new titles, I was happy (and a little sad) to see some familiar ones with brand new, beautiful illustrations.
And now, we come to the scary part. Surrounded by the ocean of books, I seemed to have lost my mind. At least I plan to claim temporary insanity if somebody decides to judge my recent purchases.
I'm fairly certain, that if it wasn't for my old trick (I only bring limited cash - no credit cards), I would spend all my savings and then some!



No comments:

Post a Comment