Saturday, October 8, 2016

Baby mobile


Having a baby undoubtfully means that your free time shrinks to nothing, but, fortunately, it also means some guilt free crafting time. After all, you can't feel bad about making sth for your little one, can you?



Using that newly discovered excuse, I spent several days hunchbacked over thread and needle. First of all, it's so great to be able to make all those cute not-so-adult  decorations without seeming overly eccentric! And second, felt is my new discovered love! It's so easy to work with, comes in fantastic colors and has such a nice texture.



But to the point... All the elements are self-drafted. I did search for some patterns online, but in the end, int's not rocket science so I decided to just do it myself. Hot-air balloons turned out perfect, but the elephant, though very cute, is a bit too porky.



I'm thinking about modifying my pattern and saving it in PDF format, but I'm not very enthusiastic about computers, so I'm just leaving it for later.




Couple of practical notes:
My mobile has two hot-air balloons, two stars, three clouds, the moon and the elephant.  Hot air balloons are made from the same pattern to they balance themselves, clouds are different in size, so I had to add little stars on one side so the mobile wouldn't flip to one side.



Because felt doesn't fray, you don't have to stitch in on the wrong side, unless, like me, you want to go for a cleaner finish.



I used silicon cushion filling  to stuff all the elements and soutache braid for decoration so there are not beads or buttons that could be swallowed.
If you are drafting your own pattern, make sure that your clouds are a little "taller" on paper than you want them to be.



When choosing your felt, go for the soft, easy to shape one, but not the thinnest one - otherwise, the thread may tear through it at the seams.
Other than that, just have fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment