Thursday, May 26, 2016

little side table redone - again!



So, that golden blue blur from the last post finally dried and found its place in one of the corners. I say finally, cause it took me way over a year to get it to the current state. We actually bought it even before we moved to the previous house.
It was sad wobbly clunker with polish peeling off, termites happily nesting inside and looking more like firewood than an adorable little side table that it is.



First, I did all the boring stuff I always do: sanding, getting read of termites, putting primer and so on. Then I painted it turquoise. I was going through a major: "we live next to the sea so let's paint everything in sea colors" phase. But I didn't like it turquoise, so I spraypainted it gold.



I didn't like it gold either. I got out some sandpaper and gave it more layered look getting the turquoise show through the gold. That was more like it, but not really "it" yet. To be honest, I wasn't quite sure how I wanted it to look so I just turned it into a bar table and it stayed this way until about a week ago.



I got some adorable decoupage tissues which I thought would be just perfect. But when I was done sticking and mod podge -ing, I wasn't really happy with the result - what a shocker!



I almost thought that the poor table was doomed to ugliness, but I figured I'll give it one more try. With some acrylic paints, I tried to hide the tissue edges, merge the pattern part with the plain one, bring out the flowery motif and... I finally got to the "it" I was hoping for, for over a year!



I really love how it turned out. It has this amazing texture of a crackled old painting (thanks to my inexpertly applied tissues, no doubt) and weathered look of a piece of furniture which has been serving people for centuries and then stood somewhere abandoned and forgotten. You can almost see it in some elegant sitting room and then, as the paint starts to peel off, moved to less and less representative parts of the house. And there it would be discovered, after decades passed, by someone who would appreciate it again.



Now I just need to give it proper company - maybe some pictures, maybe a lantern or a rug?
I love that we are finally at the stage of "moving i" when we can think about hanging pictures and not unpacking boxes!


No comments:

Post a Comment