Friday, February 6, 2015

creating a guestroom...




Being very active couchsurfing members, we decided recently to put the bar a little higher and join airbnbIt turned out to be a great experience in more ways than one. 

First of all, preparing the room was so much fun!
Of course, as always, I don’t have any before pictures… I guess I’m way too eager to make changes, to stop and take my camera out.
Anyway… there was a bit of challenge there. We had to turn not so inviting, empty space, with ghastly AC pipes running through the wall, into a cozy guestroom. And on a budget too!

The room came with the bed, cute, built-in closet and not too bad paint job. The window, however, looked horrible and was completely useless. 


Because of the AC, it doesn’t open, the structure is rather unattractive plus it has patterned glass splattered with paint. Since there wasn’t much light coming through it anyway (there are huge trees growing just behind it), we decided to cover it. Adding the second pair of curtains helped us deal with all the wiring. 


Second project was the “desk shelve” (I got the idea from here). We used reclaimed wood (from the Narnia wardrobe, but about that later) for the shelve itself, and the rest was just a little paint, some Ikea frames and couple of hours work. I think the mirror frame is my favorite part… 


The third thing to do was turning some weird cardboard and metal tubes into bedside tables. This one went pretty fast. I used acrylic paints and wood polish to seal it.


All that was left was adding some chairs, cushions and a bit of art. I’m still thinking of creating more of a gallery wall, but I need to find pieces that will go with room’s character.
Now, we are facing the challenge of doing up the room we’ve been using as storage. I already have some ideas, and it’s shaping up to be even more fun than the previous one!


No comments:

Post a Comment