Thursday, March 27, 2014

plant killer and P.S. diet muffins



You know how some people can grow absolutely anything anywhere and it is said they have green fingers? Their houses are like well-organized jungles and every plant is somehow greener, bushier and full of flowers.



Well… I’m not one of them. I was never able to grow anything but African violets and, unfortunately, it seems like I’m suffering from strong case of deadly fingers. Despite that fact I started thinking of some nice flowery arrangement on the balcony. I mean, wouldn’t it be nice to read and sunbathe among lovely greenery? I even got two hanging plants, but it got so damn hot, I didn’t have a heart to put them out. I figured, let’s just start with few window pots and see how it goes…



 It didn’t… I managed to kill one plant within a week, Cat took it upon himself to play with two others, up to the point when he dragged them out of their pots and murdered like a pro. The sweet lime tree started drying soon after, till I figured it wasn’t some much a window plant, as huge ants colony with few dry branches on top. The only survivor was chili, but I can see that, sadly, its days are numbered too. We took another trip to nurseries few days back, and I would say “so far so good” if I wasn’t too scared to jinx it. 



It’s quite funny that the only plant which doesn’t seem to have any trouble coping with its killer owner is avocado, I grew from the seed. Maybe that’s the key to the success, let them adapt to harsh environment early on?
Anyway, latest experience didn’t do much to make me, window gardener, feel any better. I decided to give it one more go and if it comes to yet another plant funeral, so be it. I will stick to what I know, hoping that Anant develops keen gardening hand one day.


P.S.
For no apparent reason I forgot to post this so I’m adding a little sugar to my dead plants: super tasty diet muffins. And yes, I said no to muffins some time ago, but they are a treat in these hard dieting days…



Recipe for around a dozen muffins

Dry ingredients:
1 cup oats
1 cup whole-wheat flour
¼ cup brown sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
¼ cup almond flour, coconut or any other nut powder

Wet ingredients:
¾ cup greek yoghurt
¼ cup coconut milk
2 spoons oil
2 eggs

Mix dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately then mix quickly and bake for 20 min in 180 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment