Tuesday, March 18, 2014

vicious circle



I’ve noticed that the longer the break from posting, the more difficult it is to get back to it. Especially after some busy days – and it was quite a week! I start writing and after a while I think… I can’t possibly post sth that long! 
So I put it off, more things happen and the vicious circle opens its ugly mouth to swallow me whole. I don’t much care for being swallowed so here it is: the account of my recent business.


First came the carnival and with it the first Goan disappointment. The main event was, of course, parade with platforms, dress ups and loud music. Turns out, it was more of a presentation of local businesses and social causes. It was amusing at time, I can’t deny that, but for much different reasons than any other carnival parade. There came a sound generator provider, pulling on their platform a huge… generator, after that came some other machinery I wouldn’t know… then “stop women abuse” campaign, with procession of sad kids carrying misspelled signs. And so it went… 



Only few people were actually dressed up and even fewer showed some carnival spirit. Mostly, they just looked out of place.  Along the procession some spirited (and much inebriated) kids were throwing colors and water – like during Holi. Afterwards there were some concerts and food stalls which I can’t complain about – they were all well planned and executed.



We made few much needed trips to the sea side and flea market, taking advantage of the last days before the heat hits.



Soon after, came a speedy Bombay trip, and by speedy I mean 3 days total, including two 10hours train rides. During that time we managed to attend a wedding, do some shopping and catch one of Fashion Week’s shows. 



 
For me, Indian weddings are a little bit like going to a fancy dress party, since I still can’t put on a saree and simply feel dressed – not dressed up. Plus there is all these “princess” jewelry and heavy makeup that makes me wonder if I’m a movie star, or 5 year old heading to a ball.




Fashion show wasn’t much different; it’s hard to say what was more interesting: the runway or the audience?! We had just enough time to see Tarun Tahiliani’s late show before catching early train the next morning. I have to say – he didn’t disappoint, though from people’s reaction I guessed that my taste didn’t follow the general public.



I fell in love with his dramatic, graphic contrasts and monochromatic drapes, while others showed more appreciation for bedazzled bridal gowns. 



The shopping part of the trip was, sadly, so rational (yes, reasonably priced basics, I’m talking about you!) that it isn’t even worth mentioning.


After coming back home and cuddling Cat to near death, we realized it is probably last chance to make a weekend trip to our favorite beach. Somewhere, over past few years, it got popular and, sadly, crowded. While I don’t mind caching occasional lunch or dinner in such happening places, for relaxing weekend I always pick more secluded location. Despite the crowd, it was lovely to wake up to the sound of crashing waves and read endlessly in the shade of beach umbrella. We may have to find some new place for the next season though…



No comments:

Post a Comment