Saturday, September 17, 2016

Autumn cooking - aka recreating family recipe



I always liked September. There is something in the air that brings back memories but also makes me want to prepare for a new beginning. I guess it's the beginning of the school year vibe, the trips to the stationary shops, buying new notebooks and pens and the absolute certainty that this year will be somehow different and better than the last. But it's also the smell of fallen leaves, first autumn rains, shorter days that make you want to cozy up with a cup of hot chocolate and the variety of fruits, nuts, and wild mushrooms...

Apparently, everyone gets sentimental this time of year because during one farmer's market trip my mom started reminiscing about mushroom appetizer her grandmother used to prepare.
Aside from the chanterelle bread spread, i didn't have much to go by, but after some experimentation, I got it just right! Or so I'm told...




It's extremely easy really, but oh-so-delicious! Especially, if, like me, you are wild mushroom fans.
I used 1/2 kg of fresh chanterelles, but obviously, you can adjust the quantity. I've never tried using frozen mushroom, but I think it should work too.



1/2kg chanterelles
1 medium onion
1 clove of garlic
50-100g butter
fresh grounded pepper
salt

Start by cleaning you chanterelles and then boil them for just 2-3 minutes. Drain the water and set aside. Melt 30g butter (i recommend large deep frying pan) and saute diced onion and garlic. Add the mushrooms (whole or roughly chopped) and sprinkle it with salt and pepper. Fry until well done, adding butter if needed. You don't want a dry pan but a nice buttery glaze.



Once mushrooms are cooked, check the taste and add more salt and pepper if needed. You can set a couple of smaller chanterelles aside for decoration or chop some up to add texture to the spread. Now pulse your mushrooms in a blender - you should be able to spread it easily but it doesn't have to perfectly smooth.
My mom tells me that the trick is to have it warm enough that, when you spread it over a buttered bread, the butter should melt. So serve it hot hot hot! You don't want to miss this buttery deliciousness!


No comments:

Post a Comment