Sunday, July 10, 2016

fail-safe banana bread (guaranteed!)



Some time ago I was raving about chocolate banana bread. Well... Somehow, from the chocolate one I worked my way down to the plain old banana bread which I now love passionately! It's the easiest loaf cake in the world, and, what's more, it's absolutely impossible to screw up!

And here is the proof: I baked it changing proportions nearly every time according to what I had (or didn't have) in the fridge - it baked perfectly. Once or twice we had power break (aka the blackout - very common in India) mid-baking - it turned out perfectly. I made a cake mix out of it - it turned out perfectly (or so my husband who never baked a cake before tells me). I overloaded it with nuts and chocolate chips - it turned out perfectly.

It's moist, fluffy, cakey but also full of bananas so you can pretend it's healthy; you can make it with a fork and it takes about 5 minutes to whip up (plus the baking of course).



So here it is, the magic recipe!


4 big bananas - mashed with fork (best if they are overripe but not necessary)
50-100 g butter
1/4-1/2 cup sugar (i say the less the better, bananas will make it sweet - trust me)
1 egg
vanilla extract
1 tsp baking soda
pinch or two of salt
1,5 cup flour
nuts, chocolate chips, cranberries or whatever your heart desires!



Warm the oven to 180 degrees. Melt the butter. Mix in sugar (you can use a fork for the entire process) and add to the bananas. Mix in the egg and vanilla extract. If you are feeling ambitious you can combine dry ingredients before adding them to banana mixture, if not - just dump everything in and mix until combined. Lastly, mix in the nuts and raising if you are adding them. Pop in the hot oven for about 40-55 minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment