Wednesday, April 20, 2016

The flat the meringue and the best lemon curd



I think, I already mentioned that we finally bought a flat (YAY!!). That just shows you can never predict how things are going to turn out.
All this time, we were planning to get a place here - in Goa. We even made a downpayment on a flat, but then change our mind about the location so often that the project we landed on will be ready in about hundred years.

And then we went to Poland - completely preoccupied with the whole baby-having affair. Of course, the topic of us coming down more often came up, and with it the question of a place for us to stay (other than my parent's). Honestly, we didn't make any declarations, just randomly mentioned that we will one day, maybe, who knows - buy a small flat. But the cogs in the machine started moving and before I knew it we were picking tiles and paint colors and... I still can't believe we did it!

It was the first time when we hired people to do the work, made inspiration boards followed by lots of shopping and generally speaking - spent some money on the renovation. Even though I have a soft spot for interior "before and after's", I could hardly believe what a change it made. I said it before and I will say it again - paint is a very powerful tool!



Anyway, we are back in Goa and finally managed to move to a darling little cottage. Now, I know that where I see charming, countryside and rustic, others may see a bit of a ruin, but it has so much potential and I love being back in my DIY shoes.

Plus, there is something about this place that makes me want to wake up at 5.30 in the morning, bake bread, make cottage cheese and attempt cooking things I usually just pick up in the store.
So, last night, I made lemon curd. It is absolutely delicious and not at all difficult to make. I don't think it took me more than 20  minutes - start to finish.



This recipe makes 1 jar full (plus few spoons to lick in extasy or proudly present to whoever is near you when you finish)
100g butter ( I used slightly salty)
1/4 cup sugar
4 egg yolks
1/2 cup lemon juice

Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Mix in egg yolks - one at the time, until well incorporated. Continue mixing, while adding lemon juice slowly until everything is well combined.
Now warm up the mixture over boiling water (boil water in a pot, place mixing bowl on top of it so that it touches the water but not the bottom of the pot) whisking energetically - you don't want scrambled eggs!
First, its gonna melt, but after about 5 minutes it will start coming together. Curd is ready when it reaches the consistency of a thick sauce. It will thicken after refrigerating.

It is recommended to strain the curd before putting it in the jar to remove all the lumps. Quite frankly, after all, the mixing and whisking I didn't get any lumps but I had quite a few lemon seeds! So. Strain you curd! Whatever the reason.



Now, for the egg whites... meringues, obviously! I don't make them too often because then I', left with all the egg yolks, so I wasn't about to pass the occasion!

Side note: on one of my fav blogs with recipes that always work, I saw curd made using whole eggs, so you can still make your own curd,even if you have no use for leftover egg whites!



4 eggwhites
pinch of salt
200g sugar
1 tsp potato starch (I used cornstarch)
juice from a small lemon

Mix egg whites until just foamy and add salt. Now turn your mixer to high speed and mix until stiff. Turn to medium speed and add sugar one spoon at the time, until well incorporated. Still mixing, add starch and juice.
Place cookie size blobs (with a spoon or confectionery sleeve) on parchment paper and bake in 120 degrees for 70-80 minutes. Meringues should be dried more than baked - that's why they stay white or white-ish.
You can eat them as they are or with lemon curd, or, better yet, with lemon curd mixed with some mascarpone. Yum!!


No comments:

Post a Comment