Sunday, March 15, 2015

quilting discovery


Once upon a time, I decided to make a quilt. What’s more, I thought it’s a great idea. I mean, how difficult can it be? I had a huge box of scraps I collected during my fashion course, I had free time on my hands and a big need for some light cover. It seemed like a perfect thing to do. Plus, since all my scraps are roughly rectangle – ish, I figured I would just stitch them together without following any pattern. I honestly thought it would be done in few days.
Well... it wasn’t. To be fair, I had all the pieces stitched fairly quickly, I even pieced together the back part of the quilt, what I didn’t have was the batting. I looked and looked and then I just packed my unfinished quilt and forgot about the whole thing. 



About a month ago, I decided to clear out the linen trunk and get rid of all the old bedsheets. And then I thought to myself: what if, instead of looking for batting, I would use old bedsheet?
Surprise, surprise, that’s exactly what I did, and I can proudly say: my first quilt is done! Sure, it’s not fluffy and warm like other quilts are, but it’s perfect for Goan weather. It has enough body to stay in place and not crumple like a simple bedsheet, but it's light enough to use even during the hottest night.

Technically speaking, it’s far from perfection, but I’m kind of in love with it. Plus it looks great in the guest room. And so, with my newly discovered passion, I decided to put the rest of my scraps to good use! I only hope this one will take me less time to complete. 


No comments:

Post a Comment