Wednesday, April 23, 2014

easter crescent



Easter came and went almost unnoticed. This year, instead of celebrating all that spring has to offer, we chose to spend lazy weekend by the sea. Our usual place was nothing but planks of wood and a tarp in-between the palm trees. The heat is almost unbearable at this point and all the beach huts and restaurants are closing. So much so, we decided to venture out to another, normally very happening, beach, to avoid this depressing “end of the season” landscape.



Since we skipped the celebrations, I didn’t immerse myself in usual pre- Easter chores. Instead of painting eggs I decided to check some sewing projects off my Pinterest list – at last! I started with mass production of skirts to build up momentum. They are the easiest and fastest, plus I usually need some visible results not to stop mid-project.
 

With that said, I did acknowledge Easter is small, but fun culinary way: carrot rolls. Of course I didn’t have these fancy cone forms, but turns out I didn’t really need them.
I made one with filo pastry, continuing my latest obsession. Turned out delicious, but needs some work on the visual front. 
The second, made with recipe for crescent rolls, was a total jackpot.


 250 g flour
2 tsp instant yeast
½ spoon salt
2 spoons brown sugar
1 egg
50 ml milk
2 tbsp of oil



Mix everything together and kneed. Leave to rise for about an hour. Roll and cut into stripes (or triangles for crescent rolls). For the carrots, make cones from baking paper and simply wrap the dough around starting from the tip.
I glazed it with egg mixed with food coloring, but egg alone will do. Bake for about 15 minutes. 




Because of the sugar in the recipe, they are slightly sweet, but still pretty universal. I stuffed the carrots with chicken salad and egg paste, plus tried crescent rolls in every possible way. The only thing about the carrots – they don’t have much space inside so I recommend avoiding any larger chunks in the stuffing.



No comments:

Post a Comment